Dermatomes Clinical Importance
Dermatomes of Body
Dermatomes Clinical Importance Dermatomes a medical terminology, you might know about its literal meaning but very few actually know it in detail. Today you are going to know about it deeply. Just read the whole content and you wouldn’t regret it.
Definition of Dermatomes:
The skin surface is divided into certain areas, which are derived from cells of somite are called dermatomes. A dermatome is also said to be an area of skin, innervated by the sensory neurons and are classified into the following three regions.
1. Myotome, that makes the skeletal muscle.
2. Dermatome, that makes the connective tissues together with the dermis.
3. Sclerotome, that forms the vertebrae.
What is the Dermatomes Clinical Importance:
Medical experts diagnose certain diseases by the help of these dermatomes i.e. if there is any scratch in spinal cord or nerve roots, they can be localized by the help of these dermatomes.
What are viral infections of Dermatomes:
Viral infections of dermatomes commonly include these two disorders which are caused by varicella zoster virus.
1. Chickenpox(varicella) is a transmittable disease characterized by skin rash that forms small itchy blisters.
2. Shingles(herpes zoster) is a disorder in which there is vesicular eruption but on a limited area and characterized by the single strip sort of mark. Dermatomes Clinical Importance
What are forms of dermatomes in different parts of body:
Dermatomes run longitudinally along the arms and legs. Thus in limbs, each half has dissimilar dermatomes. While in abdomen dermatomes are like a stack of discs that are innervated by different spinal nerves.The over-all design of dermatomes is alike in all people, but main differences exist in dermatome maps from person to person. Dermatomes Clinical Importance